How to Use WebAdvisor
WebAdvisor is a secure web interface and an online location for students to add and drop classes, look at their unofficial transcript, class schedules, check grades, check financial aid, pay fees, and see their account profile. For faculty, this is a useful tool to see their class schedules, class rosters, and is a place to enter grades and information.
Access to your information does require a username and password and students have access to this system once listed as a Current Student; however, the general public can access (without login) course listings by utilizing the "Search for Class Sections" option under "Prospective Students."
How to Change Your Schedule
In order to change your schedule (be aware of the last day to Drop/Add) follow these steps:
- Log-in to Webadvisor and click on "Student's Menu."
- Click on “Search and Register For Course Sections” to first find a replacement course if planning on dropping a course you are registered for.
- Build the search: (e.g. "SUMMER 2016,” “Subject (PSYC)” “Course Number (101)," & “Location (SFUC).” NOTE: It helps to have a print out of your current schedule in front of you.
- Click on “Submit.”
- Review schedule options and click the checkbox next to the course that will work in your intended schedule (ensure that the section is open).
- Click “Submit.”
- Choose “RG-Register” from the Drop-down menu next to the course you just chose.
- Click the checkbox in the Drop Column under "Current Registrations" next to the class(es) that you want to drop from your current schedule.
- Click “Submit.”
- Wait for the change to confirm itself in Webadvisor and verify that the section(s) was dropped and that a section(s) was registered.
How to Register for Class Sections
You may register for course sections using “Search and Register for Class Sections” in WebAdvisor. You can use “Express Registration” as well; however, in order to use “Express Registration,” you will need to know the 5-digit synonym (ex: 10499) for each class. The “Search and Register for Class Sections” option combines the “Search for Class Sections” feature along with the option to register.
Here is a Step-By-Step Process on how to find and register classes:
- Log-in to Webadvisor and click on "Student's Menu"
- Click on "My Restrictions" to make certain there are no holds stopping you from registering
- NOTE: Most common holds are: "CADV" (Advising Needed) or "AR" (Business Office hold). If you need advising, you can view the contact information for who you are assigned to by clicking on "My Profile" on the "Students Menu"
- Once holds are addressed and removed, click on “My Date to Register" to see what day/time you are eligible to register for classes-this is based on a student's number of earned credits. Senior statused students (90+ credits earned) can typically register sooner than a Freshman statused student (0-34 credits earned).
- Next, click on "Search and Register For Course Sections” on the "Student's Menu"
- Build the search: (e.g. "SPRING 2016,” “Subject (PSYC)” “Course Number (101)," & “Location (SFUC).” NOTE: It helps to have a print out of your transcript/major requirements in front of you to help you note/find classes that you need (See Program Evaluation)
- Click on “Submit”
- Review schedule options and click the checkbox next to the course(s) that will work in your intended schedule (ensure that the section is open)
- Click “Submit”
- Choose “RG-Register” from the Drop-down menu next to the course(s) you just chose
- Click “Submit”
- Wait for Webadvisor to confirm the process and verify that you are registered for the classes you chose (See My Class Schedule)
Remember: Registration will directly affect your student record and you will be charged for any course registrations (See the Academic Calendar for Payment Deadlines)
Adding/Dropping Class Sections
After registering, use the "Register and Drop Class Sections" option to drop a class. If you drop a class after the Add/Drop date, there is no refund. Additionally, you can add a class here as long as it was originally saved in your preferred sections with respect to the Add/Drop Date (See the Academic Calendar).
If you are trying to drop your ONLY class or ALL classes, you will need to come to the UC Main Office and fill out a Withdrawal Form prior to the last day to withdrawal. Remember: registration will directly affect your student record and you will be charged for any course registrations. If you drop a class, it will be dropped from your student record and your seat will be released to other students. There are often financial aid implications in dropping courses, so be sure to contact Financial Aid before taking any actions.
If you have researched the last date to drop, how dropping might impact your completion rate, financial aid, and academic progress (and still need to drop a course), the process is as follows:
- Log-In to Webadvisor
- Click on the Student's Menu
- Click on "My Restrictions" to make certain there are no holds stopping you from dropping
- Most common holds: "CADV" is for Advising and "AR" is a Business Office hold
- If there are no holds on your record, click Student's Menu at the top
- Next click on the link titled "Register and Drop Class Sections"
- Scroll down to your Current Registrations near the bottom of the page
- Place a check mark in the column titled "Drop" next to the course(s) that you wish to drop
- Click Submit and wait for verification to see that it was successfully dropped.
- NOTE: You can also verify if it was successfully dropped by clicking "My Class Schedule" afterwards.
Students must confirm that they will be attending a South Dakota Board of Regents university each semester they are enrolled to specify your payment information and refund preferences along with verifying your address on record. Also, by completing this process, financial aid offices can award students more efficiently and quickly. Attendance Confirmation is completed in Webadvisor about 20-30 days prior to the start of the semester. Students receive an e-mail regarding how to complete this process from their HOME school. The link to complete Attendance Confirmation can be found at the upper part of the screen on the "Student's Menu."
Students are often required to show proof that they are registered for classes. The South Dakota Board of Regents universities work with the National Student Clearinghouse to provide this authenticated proof. Simply click on the link titled “Enrollment Verification” in WebAdvisor and follow the directions. NOTE: This only works if you are registered for classes and typically isn't available until after classes begin. If Enrollment Verification is needed prior to when classes begin, students are encouraged to contact their HOME School's Registrar's office to obtain that documentation.
Use the “Grades” option to view mid-term or final grades for each course section as well as your term GPA and faculty advisor. Deficiencies are also listed here at mid-term as "DEF." Grades are not posted until after Finals Week.
My Class Schedule
After registration is complete, access and print your semester class schedule using the “My Class Schedule” option of WebAdvisor to view your class schedule and location of courses.
A restriction on a student record will prevent registration or change in registration until the reason for the restriction has been resolved. If your registration is restricted, contact the office indicated in the displayed registration message. The two most common holds are “ACDV – Academic Advising” (Student needs to be advised on correct courses before registering each semester) and “AR-Business Office” (Account is unpaid). To find out who your advisor is, you can click on “My Profile.”
Advising Holds/Registration Alerts
To assist students and provide more effective academic advising, a "registration alert or hold" is placed on your WebAdvisor account. This means you will need to consult with your advisor in order to make changes to your academic schedule. The alerts have been put in place to ensure that you meet with your advisor and that you fully understand the impact that changes in your academic schedule, such as dropping a course, may have on your financial aid, academic scholarship requirements, graduation goals, or athletic eligibility. If you want to change your academic schedule, it makes sense to plan ahead and make an appointment to see your advisor, since that can eliminate the problem of not being able to find your advisor.
Program Evaluation and Major Change Evaluations
"Program Evaluation" will show the requirements in your degree program, courses completed, classes in progress (IP) and classes for which you have pre-registered (PR). Simply clicking the check-box next to your major listed and clicking "Submit" will show you your requirements for your degree plan and your current catalog.
If you are interested in seeing what a different major (other than the one you are listed as) would look like, you can simply select the drop-down box next to "What if I changed my program of study?" and select the major. The program evaluation is available for catalogs 1999 and forward.
Again, you can use this feature to choose an alternative program if you are considering switching majors. The courses you have previously completed will be applied to each course requirement. It will then display what courses you still need to complete. With this process, the first letter refers to the school delivering the major; the drop down box that appears lists majors available from ALL state public universities in South Dakota:
B = BHSU (Black Hills State University in Spearfish)
D = DSU (Dakota State University in Madison)
M = SDSM&T (SD School of Mines & Technology in Rapid City)
N = NSU (Northern State University in Aberdeen)
S = SDSU (South Dakota State University in Brookings)
U = USD (University of South Dakota in Vermillion)
My Registration Time
"My Registration Time" provides your registration day and time for a particular term. Use this to determine the earliest possible moment you can register for upcoming classes. Your date to register is based upon the number of earned credits you have.
Search for Class Sections
A User ID and Password are NOT needed to use the “Search for Class Sections” option in WebAdvisor.
- Select “Students” from the Main Menu.
- Select “Search for Class Sections.”
- Select “Term” for the semester to be searched. This field must be entered for a successful query.
- Use the remaining fields to narrow the class search (a minimum of 3 fields must be completed). NOTE: Broad searches slow the system. To keep searches specific, follow these tips:
- Use the "Subjects" to select only the subjects needed
- Use the "Course Number" (if known)
- Use the "Academic Level" to search graduate/undergraduate level courses
- Choose a "Location" that you are interested in taking courses (i.e. SFUC-University Center)
- Click the Submit button
The “My Profile” option displays your address, phone number, e-mail address, program and advisor information. If your address, phone number or your e-mail address is incorrect, or a change of major is needed, stop at the University Center Main Office and fill out the appropriate form.
Tuition and Fee Payment
Students can use Webadvisor to make payments/view bill and set-up payment plans via SDePay. Read more about this system at the South Dakota Board of Regent’s website or the University Center Business Office--staff there can help with any questions.
The "Unofficial Transcript/Course History" option displays all of your completed courses, Cumulative GPA, Total Grade Points and Total Earned Credits for the academic level selected (NOTE: be sure to choose your HOME school from the drop-down menu along with the academic level: "UG" is for "Undergraduate Students" and "GR" is for "Graduate Students"). For example, a USD student pursuing their Undergraduate degree would choose "UUG" from the menu. This cannot be used as an official transcript. If you need an Official Transcript, you will need to submit a form at the business office at University Center and/or visit the Registrar's Office Website for your HOME school in order to download the appropriate form. The cost of an Official Transcript to be sent is $9.00.
Waitlisting (Manage My Waitlist)
Waitlisting is available for most classes; this allows you to put yourself on an electronically maintained list (ordered by "first-come-first-serve" basis) in cases in which a course that you want happens to be closed because it is at capacity for enrollment. If there an opening comes available, you will be notified via your university e-mail and will be granted 24 hours to register for it (If a student does not register during that 24 hour period, that student is automatically taken off the waitlist and the available spot is offered to the next student on the waitlist).
During the registration process (see Registering for Course Sections above), a student can select a course that is at capacity and then choose "WL-Waitlist." Once that student has done that, the waitlisted course(s) can be viewed on the student's menu under "Manage My Waitlist" (the comment area should say "Active" if the student is successfully on the waitlist.
Under the "Manage My Waitlist" link a student can register for the course (if a note of "Open to Register" is listed), or remove it from their waitlist (if they no longer are interested in that section).
Summer 2017 session II starts 6/26/17 and ends 8/4/17. The last day to drop or add a course for Summer Session II is 6/29/17.View Details
Posted: June 22, 2017
Why Float Around? Focus Your Future at UC! Join us for college planning, goal-setting, financial aid, etc. all while enjoying root beer, cherry, grape or orange ice cream floats Tuesday, June 27 3p-6p!Read More
6/29/17 is the last day to Drop/Add a Summer 2017 Session II course for a full refund. Summer Session II courses run from 6/26/17 to 8/4/17.View Details